This Love Affair



Indecisive, that’s what he is. Patient, that’s what he has made me. We know what we are but we still doubt it when the issue comes up. He is the kind who is picky. That’s what he tells me, and I’m a girl who refuses to be an option in anyone’s list, I deserve to be a choice.
“Baby, you gotta chill. I’m just not ready yet, at least not now.” He is not ready for love and so we wait; no, I wait.
“Right now, I got plans, big big plans.” And I wonder each day where I fit in into any of these plans.
To our friends, I am just his best friend. Actually no. They think we’re doing something behind closed doors. One time when I arranged for a dinner get-together with some of our friends, we had managed to get the wrong impression across. He came before the rest of them. The way he was assisting me with setting up the table brought their curious eyes on me. When the bowl of food was too hot, he will take it from my hands and dump it on the hands of another girl there. His sweetness, they all took it as a clue.

Finally, the table was set and we all took our seats, ready to dig into our food. The fried rice which he helped make came out perfect. They all praised his skills, dropping hints that who ever he marries would be a lucky girl. I joined in, adding my own two cents.
“So are you guys an item or what?” Sade asked out of the blue. The room became silent.
“Oh yea, I have been willing to ask the same question ever since.” Philip said, while he ate.
Dele began to chew more aggressively on his chicken. I was seating right across from him on the dinner table. He refused to catch my eyes.
Clearing my throat, I poured myself a glass of wine.
“Come on babe spill out the beans. We’re all friends here abi? Didn’t I tell you when Samson asked me out.” Bolanle who was seating on my left asked. She smiled back at Samson who was seating in front of her. They both drew their arms out on the table to hold each others hands.
Sade gasped, “Oh my god, is that an engagement ring am seeing Bolanle?” She came closer to take a better look at Bolanle’s fingers. With her hands stretched out in front of Sade, she squeaked.
“Yes! He popped the question last week!” Her voice sounded like that of a girl who was in love. She had to be; what was I thinking? She said yes, now didn’t she?
“I was going to tell you guys as soon as it happened, but I wanted to keep it to myself a little more just in case he decides on taking his ring back. You know how he his na.” She winked at her love. I was happy for her. She choice the right time to tell even I who thought we were almost like sisters.
The guys congratulated Samson for making an honest woman out of Bolanle. Everyone’s attention drifted to the newly engaged couple. Just when I thought I was let off the hook, Sade said,
“I’m so happy one of us is out of the market now oo, Lola you’re next.” She winked at me. I smiled back.
“Do you guys remember how they met?” Everyone except the victims nodded.
Samson answered, “This goat here was dating that other girl… what was her name again?”
“Vera… Cynthia… Charity or Chasity? Which one na?”
They all busted out laughing.
I noticed Dele hadn’t said a word since our friends started patronizing us. I feared he would think I put them up to this.
“Since Dele doesn’t want to man up and take you off the market, I will gladly accept you. You know I’ve always had a thing for—”
“Nah… shes fine.” Dele cuts in. Shaking his head, he sipped from his glass of wine. Everyone’s attention fell on him.
“What do you mean nah? Oh na now you wan speak up?”
“Babe like I was saying,” Philip continued, “we could go on a date some time next week what do you say?” Before I could respond, Dele spoke again. His voice this time held annoyance.
“Lola will be busy with me in the office next week so I don’t think you guys can do that; am I right?” He asked me, looking straight into my eyes. We stayed like that, eyes caught in each others as if the world stood still for us only.
“Hey she can speak for herself joor are you her husband? Sheybi you said you guys are not dating?” Sade broke the connection. I blinked and looked down on my food, embarrassed at Sade’s questions.
He scoffed and a smiled followed, a smile I knew too well.
“I think its time I take my leave.” He got up.
“Hey, hey it hasn’t come to that Dele. Guy where is your fun bone at?” The tried getting him to stay but he wasn’t having it. He began walking towards where I was sitting. My heart began to beat really fast as he came closer. The suspense on everyone’s eyes made the room hotter.
“Goodnight Lola.” He whispered so close to my ears. His hot breath I felt close to my lips. He was gone before I or the rest of our friends could even blink.
Sade with her big mouth hissed. “Let him go joor. I don’t know why Dele is always grumpy. The poor boy needs some servicing oo.” She laughed.  His seat was empty, but his presences although missed, we continued with our meals.
After dinner, Sade wanted to stay for a movie night.
“Babe I’m very tired ehn, and I got a lot of work to finish up at the office…”I lied. ” maybe some other time?”
She hugged me and followed along side Philip and the rest who were waiting for her. They all came in the same car. After seeing them off, I came back into my house and crawled into my bed.
Holding my pillows dear I sighed. I was frustrated, I realized if it wasn’t going to be Dele then it would never be anyone else. A text message came in just as I was about beating myself up. I stretched my hand for my phone which I had thrown at the other end of my bed.
“Lola I’m outside your door.”
I jumped out of my bed. I began to quickly place things back in order after the tossing and turning I had been doing. After I made sure the bed was set, I went into my closest and brought out my red lingerie; Dele’s favorite one.
I cat walked to my door and opened.
He smiled when he saw me.
“You didn’t waste your time honey.” He picked me up and the rest is our secret.
Written By UFUOMA OTEBELE

Comments

  1. Hummmmm.....waiting for the Part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welldone ufuoma, dele sorry I mean femi keep bringing more nice articules like dis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment